Can I Get My Green Card Through a Family Member?

Posted by Camilo Espinosa on May 27, 2014

Relatives of US citizens or permanent US residents may apply for green cards based upon their familial relationship. Relatives of US citizens/permanent residents who may petition for green cards include spouses, children (unmarried and under

21), sons and daughters (married and/or over 21), parents (if the resident/citizen is over 21), siblings (if the resident/citizen is over 21), and fiancées.

The US citizen or permanent resident must be willing and able to sponsor the foreign relative for green card purposes. In order to be a sponsor, the citizen/permanent resident must be able to prove that he/she has enough income or assets to support the relative upon arrival to the United States.

“Immediate Relatives” of US Citizens are given preferential treatment and therefore do not need to wait in line for a visa. Immediate Relatives are defined as spouses of US citizens, children (unmarried and under 21) of US citizens, and parents of US citizens (the petitioning citizen must be 21 or older.) For non-relatives (i.e. sons and daughters married and/or over 21 or siblings), the visas allotted by the USCIS are subject to annual numerical limitations. The nature of the relationship between the relative and the US citizen will determine where the foreign person is placed in the visa line.

For assistance in applying for a visa through a relative, or for more information on immigration proceedings generally, please contact one of the attorney’s at LOIGICA, P.A.. We will be happy to assist you in any of your immigration matters.

We look forward to helping you.

Topics: Immigration Law