Help your Spouse, Child, Brother, Sister, Father or Mother become a U.S. Permanent Resident

Posted by Camilo Espinosa on October 16, 2013

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may help your relative (spouse, child, father or mother) to become a permanent resident of the United States, which means that any of the above referenced relatives would be able to obtain a green card. One of the most important aspects of this process is that you (the U.S. citizen), need to sponsor or petition for your relative and you have to have enough income or assets to support your relative(s).

This process is a two-step process. First, you need establish a family relationship between you and your relative.

Second, your relative needs to apply for adjustment of status if he/she is in the United States, or apply for a green card once his/her visa petition is approved and apply through a U.S. consulate.

You as a U.S. citizen can apply for the following relatives:

1) Husband or Wife;

2) Children, married or unmarried; however, please note that there are different classification for children depending on their age and whether they are married;

3) Parents, brothers, and sisters if you are at least 21 years or older.

Please contact one of our attorneys from LOIGICA, PA to help you with your immigration case. We will assist you during all your immigration procedure, from the beginning until your relative obtains his/her green card. We look forward to helping you.

Topics: Immigration Law