How certain investors can get an E – 2 visa

Posted by Camilo Espinosa on July 16, 2013

The E-2 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a treaty country to be admitted to the U.S. when investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.   There are two ways how you can petition for an E-2 Visa.  You can petition inside the U.S. or outside the U.S.  However, the procedure is different if you are in the U.S. in a lawful nonimmigrant status than if you are in your home country.

To qualify for E-2 classification, you, the investor, must:

  1. Be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation;
  2. Have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States; and
  3. Be seeking to enter the United States solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise.  This is established by showing at least 50% ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position or other corporate device.

Please note that you will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years.  Afterwards, you have to petition for an extension of stay.  These extensions are usually granted in increments of up to two years each.  Additionally, there is no maximum limit to the number of extensions that may be granted, so you can apply as many times as you want as long as you have your business running.

LOIGICA, PA can help you get your Immigration visa.  If you contact our Miami Immigration Attorneys today, we will assist you during all investment immigration procedure, from the beginning until you obtain the green card.  Contact us now to start the procedure and obtain a green card through investment.

Topics: Immigration Law