Obtaining a Green Card through Employment

Posted by Camilo Espinosa on June 5, 2013

In a previous blog, we shared how you can get a green card (or become a permanent resident) through your family. However, what if you do not qualify under any of the referenced family categories? Well, there are other ways to get a green card. For example, you may be able to get a green card through an offer of employment in the United States.

Most of the categories in this field require your employer to get a labor certification by the U.S department. This labor certification simply shows that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available in the geographic area where you are located to be employed, and also that no U.S. workers are going to be displaced by you taking on this position. Basically, the U.S. government wants to protect jobs and ensure that U.S. workers are getting priority for jobs in this country.

What is important in this job category is that most employment petitions require:

1) A solid job offer

2) A petition for the foreigner worker from the company

Please take

note that there is an application procedure, which differs if you are living in or outside the United States. Additionally, it should be noted that you will not simply get a green card immediately after you apply and get your visa because there is a strict procedure that you need to follow.

In other cases, highly skilled workers, such as those with extraordinary ability in certain professions, and investors/entrepreneurs are given priority to immigrate through several immigrant categories.

The immigration system in the United States is complex and expensive. If you are in need of legal advice pertaining to the U.S. immigration process? Contact our team of Miami immigration attorneys at LOIGICA today and we’ll help get you started.

Information on this blog was taken from the Immigration Code and the USCIS website. LOIGICA, P.A. 305.390.0450, camilo.espinosa@loigica.com.

Topics: Immigration Law